- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Life Science
- Post Date: 03/01/2023
- Website: racap.com
- Company Address: 200 Berkeley Street, 18th Floor, Boston, MA, 02116
- Salary Range: NA
About RA Capital ManagementRA Capital Management is an investment advisor based in Boston specializing in the life-sciences and drug development sectors.
TechAtlas, the investment research-focused division of RA Capital
TechAtlas Healthcare Associates work closely with RA Capital’s Investment Team and portfolio companies to originate conviction in potential investments and program strategies by identifying and evaluating breakthroughs and putting innovations and data into context. Associates typically cover several therapeutic spaces and capabilities, becoming our in-house experts who can envision how a given field will play out and how companies are likely to evolve and perform in the dynamic biotech and life sciences sector. Associates institutionalize these learnings and guide investment decisions by mapping out competitive landscapes of the various drugs, diagnostics, and/or technological capabilities in a given area, driving due diligence into the most promising assets, and advising portfolio companies on many aspects of pipeline strategy. We are seeking individuals who share our core characteristics: intellectually curious, open-minded, and driven to advance healthcare and life sciences innovation that will meaningfully impact patients’ lives.
- Develop expertise in several therapeutic areas and/or technologies to inform investment decisions by understanding the current standard of care, unmet needs in the field, and therapies in development to create a clear picture of how a field will evolve and which companies are best positioned for success.
- Meet with biotech and life sciences companies (C-suite) to evaluate investment opportunities.
- Conduct investment due diligence alongside members of the Investment Team.
- Analyze preclinical and clinical data sets and communicate their impact in a given space with urgency and attention to detail, in both written and oral forms.
- Work with portfolio companies as needed on various aspects of pipeline strategy, clinical development, BD activities, and other topics as required.
- Interview and survey key opinion leaders and subject matter experts.
- Attend scientific and investor conferences.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the competitive landscapes in given coverage areas.
- Create updated competitive landscapes as needed to reflect changes and updates in given coverage areas.
We are looking for curious, intelligent, and driven individuals capable of clearly communicating data-driven analyses and high quality work products in a timely manner. We demand a strong scientific background and will provide training in all other aspects of the Healthcare Associate role. Applicants need to be flexible, self-motivated, results-oriented people who work well both independently and as part of a team.
PhD in biology or a related field, or MD.
Application and Assignment
As part of the application, in lieu of a cover letter, please submit a pitch for a public biotech company you find compelling (max. 2 pages). The pitch should include what the company does and why you find it compelling, with data to support your reasoning. Please include what you think the company/drug could be worth* if it is approved as well as how likely you think the drug is to be approved, laying out your rationale for your estimates. For simplicity, focus only on the value in the US market. If you choose to pitch a company with multiple drugs in its pipeline, please calculate a valuation only for the lead drug.
* If you do not have experience thinking about company valuations, they are a function of the market opportunity of a drug. A useful framework to use is:
Value of company (drug) if drug is approved in US = (# US patients addressable by the drug) x (max % of addressable patients who will use the drug) x (annual price of drug) x (biotech industry multiplier**)
** The most common multiplier used in the biotech industry is 3.