- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Life Sciences R&D/Engineering
- Industry: Genetic Medicine
- Post Date: 03/15/2023
- Website: wavelifesciences.com
- Company Address: 733 Concord Avenue, Cambridge, MA, 02138
- Salary Range: NA
About Wave Life SciencesStereopure oligonucleotides for Huntington's disease and other serious genetic conditions
Wave Life Sciences (Wave) is a biotechnology company focused on delivering transformational therapies for patients with serious, genetically defined diseases. We differentiate ourselves through our proprietary chemistry platform that enables the production of stereopure oligonucleotides precisely targeting the underlying cause of rare diseases. At Wave, we welcome those who share a passion to change lives and embrace a culture that is thoughtful, dynamic, humble, and fearless. Together, we can contribute to our mission enabling every patient with a genetic disease to have access to life changing treatments.
Wave Life Sciences is a biotechnology company focused on delivering transformational therapies for patients with serious, genetically defined diseases. We differentiate ourselves through our proprietary chemistry platform that enables the production of stereopure oligonucleotides that precisely target the underlying cause of rare diseases. At Wave, we welcome those who share a passion to change lives and embrace a culture that is thoughtful, dynamic, humble, and fearless. Together, we can contribute to our mission enabling every patient with a genetic disease to have access to life changing treatments.
The Manager of EHS is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and programs to anticipate, evaluate and control risks to Wave employees and operations. The individual will manage a group consisting of 1 FTE and 2 hazardous waste contract support team members. This is a key operational support role that must work cross functionally within the organization to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations during the discovery, development, and manufacturing of oligonucleotide and RNA editing therapeutics.
May include some or all of the following:
- Develops, implements, and manages Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) countermeasures to ensure employee safety and compliance with established Federal, State, and local regulations. These include but are not limited to, exposure to hazardous chemicals, fire protection and emergency response, air emissions, hazardous waste tank systems, lockout/tagout.
- Investigates and records accidents, incidents, near misses, and hazard reports.
- Contributes to strategic planning, direction, and goal setting for the department or function.
- Identifies and evaluates regulatory risks and develops the action plan to prioritize and mitigate the compliance gaps and highest safety risks first.
- Leads team(s) on projects/initiatives that are cross functional and of significant importance to the organization.
- Establishes and monitors KPI’s and to ensure continuous improvement.
- Stay current on regulatory issues/trends through seminars, networking, industry group participation; advise management on potential impact of proposed legislation; develop plans; arrange funding to stay in compliance with new regulations.
- Identifies training requirements and establishes the appropriate training plan to maintain required safety, environmental, and regulatory training for Wave staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must be able to communicate across multiple levels of the organization.
- Proficient in OSHA, MassDEP and USEPA regulations related to facility operations.
- Practical knowledge and application of GMPs, GLPs and FDA regulations.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills are required. Must be able to evaluate complex problems with multiple variables.
- Valid Mass. Driver’s license. Travel between Wave Life Sciences sites is required (Cambridge/Lexington).
- Incumbent will be required to carry a cellular phone and to be on call to support Wave operations.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required, preferably in technical discipline: Engineering, Sciences, and Operations Management
- 8 – 10 years EHS experience with 2-3 years of supervisory experience
- Experience in high-hazard industries is desired (chemical manufacturing, oil & gas, pharmaceutical manufacturing).
- Experience negotiating with and managing contractors, vendors, and/or outsourced services.
Throughout the global pandemic, Wave has been committed to ensuring the safety of all employees and their families, while continuing to move the business forward so that we can deliver on our commitment to patients. We have implemented an approach to COVID-19 that is informed by the science and aligns to recommendations established by the CDC and other applicable government health agencies. To that end, Wave has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires its employees to be vaccinated to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.
Wave Life Sciences provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Wave Life Sciences complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Wave Life Sciences expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Wave Life Sciences’ employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.