- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Research Sci/Assoc/Mgr
- Industry: Life Science
- Post Date: 05/23/2023
- Website: www.racap.com/venture
- Company Address: 200 Berkeley Street, 18th Floor, Boston, MA, 02116
About RAVenRAVen (RA Ventures) is the venture-focused arm of RA Capital Management, LP, a Boston-based biotechnology and life sciences investment firm.
Umbra Therapeutics is mapping the tyrosine and lysine proteome to develop impactful therapeutics against diverse target classes. We are integrating advanced chemoproteomics technologies & bioinformatics with computational chemistry, structural biology and medicinal chemistry capabilities to develop novel, selective therapies in oncology. Our capabilities empower the discovery of novel druggable sites within proteins including those that have been previously regarded as undruggable and inform rational drug design. Our vision is to be the premier company building a pipeline of next-generation small molecule therapeutics for high-value protein targets.
General Scope and Summary
Umbra Therapeutics is searching for a creative, resourceful, and passionate drug hunter for an important role that is responsible for providing strategic direction and leadership of our Medicinal Chemistry department, focusing on small molecule drug discovery in cancer. The role requires an individual with a proven track record of delivering quality development candidates and an exceptional grasp of the entire interdisciplinary drug discovery process from lead generation to development candidate / IND nomination. Additionally, the candidate will have demonstrated highly tuned people management, organizational, and decision-making skills along with a track record of advancing drug-like molecules into the clinic. This role will report to the Head of Chemistry.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the design, implementation, and execution of drug discovery programs
- Provide scientific expertise and guidance in the areas of medicinal chemistry, drug discovery, and lead optimization.
- Design and implement strategies for hit identification, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization campaigns
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including biology, pharmacology, and drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics (DMPK), to ensure the successful progression of drug discovery projects.
- Provide strategic, scientific, and managerial leadership across all disciplines in an outsourced medicinal chemistry environment
- Provide timely and well-organized presentations to leadership team forums
- Contribute to intellectual property generation through patent filings and scientific publications.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, and good management and negotiation skills. Must excel in a multidisciplinary environment as an integral leader and team member across several project teams. Excellent problem-solving ability and attention to detail are critical
- Doctoral degree (PhD) or equivalent in Synthetic Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry
- >5 years of experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry with a strong track record of scientific innovation, project leadership, delivery of clinical candidates, and INDs
- In-depth knowledge of the entire drug R&D process and expertise in organic/medicinal chemistry, ADMET/PK, pharmacology , computer-assisted drug design, and fragment-based Hit to Lead optimization to achieve covalent or non-covalent drug-like molecules.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Oncology drug discovery expertise with experience advancing chemical biology
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, independent thought, and ability to effectively collaborate with others
- A track record of scientific contributions, such as publications and/or patents, in the field of medicinal chemistry
- Ability to foster positive working relationships across the organization, in particular with functional leads, program leads, and senior leadership
- Embrace the Umbra Therapeutics culture of patient first
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Umbra Therapeutics