- Job Type: Intern
- Function: Intern
- Industry: Life Science
- Post Date: 11/21/2023
- Website: racap.com
- Company Address: 200 Berkeley Street, 18th Floor, Boston, MA, 02116
About RA Capital ManagementRA Capital Management is a multi-stage investment manager dedicated to evidence-based investing in public and private healthcare and life science companies, and private planetary health companies.
The TechAtlas Healthcare team works closely with RA Capital’s Investment Team and portfolio companies to evaluate the technical landscapes surrounding select disease indications in order to identify breakthroughs and originate conviction in new ideas. This team is responsible for analyzing and contextualizing scientific and clinical data from academic literature and industry sources to anticipate how breakthroughs might impact investments, industry stakeholders, physicians, patients, and policymakers. The TechAtlas team is vital to our firm and it is the department we largely recruit talent into.
About the Internship
As an Intern within the TechAtlas Healthcare team, you will spend twelve weeks working with the support of a Healthcare Associate and an Associate Director on a focused therapeutic area of interest to RA Capital. This Internship is designed to give you a view into how we think about the crossroads of science and investing. You will have the opportunity to support scientific due diligence and will have the chance to learn the key questions we ask while evaluating an investment opportunity. Two key work products include: (1) A mini map covering a therapeutic area of interest, and (2) A “mock portfolio” presentation/walk-through where, based on your work, you will pitch two companies that you find compelling to senior leadership of TechAtlas and members of our investment team.
This is an opportunity for you to gain valuable hands-on experience and skills to fuel your professional growth and development.
Monday, June 3 – Friday, August 23, 2024.
Note: This start date cannot be modified, as all summer interns will be going through onboarding and training as a cohort.
40 hours/week required
While the internship will be hybrid (time at the office required, with some availability to work remotely), this is a Boston, MA-based internship.
Note: Out of state applicants will only be considered if the applicant is able to reside within Massachusetts for the duration of the internship.
- Mapping and understanding the competitive landscape for a given disease or platform technology
- Understanding the basics of scientific due diligence
- Understanding the key questions needed to develop an investment thesis
- Assigned Peer Mentor in related area of interest; exposure to company meetings and thought partnership with Peer Mentor
- Weekly check-ins with manager for coaching and feedback and help addressing any challenges
2) Networking: You will have an opportunity to network with our Invest, Venture, TechAtlas, and Operations teams, as well as with other interns within the firm.
3) Assessment/Potential Full-Time Offer: During the course of your internship, you will be required to present your work to the TechAtlas leadership team. This presentation, along with the totality of your work during the internship, will be used as an assessment to determine a potential full-time offer to join RA as an Associate.
We are looking for curious, intelligent, and driven individuals capable of delivering results in a timely manner and at the highest levels of quality. All applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered:
1) Must be authorized to work in the United States.
2) Must be within 1 year of graduation of attaining advanced degree (PhD or MD, or MBA with a science background), or within 1 year of finishing postdoctoral training.
3) Must be based in Massachusetts (consideration will be given to applicants who are willing and able to relocate to MA for the duration of the internship).
We will be accepting up to four (4) Interns for Summer 2024.
Application Procedure and Essay
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please apply online via LinkedIn or the RA Capital Website (www.racap.com/joinus) no later than Wednesday January 31, 2024 (no extensions) and include:
(1) Your Resume
(2) In lieu of a cover letter, please include a short essay (2 pages max) addressing the following:
Pick your favorite public biotech company and provide a data-driven assessment of the company’s lead asset in the context of the competitive landscape (i.e., other companies/assets in the space). Include an assessment of the market opportunity/potential peak sales for that asset.